Thursday, November 17, 2011

Unit 4 - Cases and Objects

After reading through the assigned reading for Unit 4 on Cases on Objects, I would have to say that the modules have some similarities and some differences.  A similarity between Case-Based learning and Cognitive Flexibility Theory is that they are both case based.  I also feel that they also merge a majority of the same ideas.  Both involve real-life scenarios, available resources and stories.  These modules also involve the use of background knowledge.  The level of background knowledge on a topic can influence the work that someone completes on these assignments. At the end of these modules, students should be better at critical thinking skills such as making a decision.  One of the biggest differences between the two modules, in my opinion, is that Case-based learning seems to be more structured. In Cognitive-Flexibility students use more of their own opinions, and previous cases to form ideas and thoughts around a certain topic.  There is flexibility in their work.   I also feel that learning objects could be adapted to fit almost any of the modules we worked with this year because information can be presented in specific lengths that would be appropriate depending on the group of learners.

After learning about these modules, my first and main thought is, "WOW!"  I feel that these modules and ideas would be better applied to middle school students.  As an elementary teacher, I can't imagine the time it would take to set up something like the plantation letters that we worked through.  Time is a teachers worse enemy so I feel they would be more beneficial if I were only planning for a certain subject area such as Social Studies and not having to plan all subjects.  I also feel that students who are in middle school/early high school are starting to really understand how to make decisions, form opinions, and investigate answers on their own. These modules might be a little hard and overwhelming for younger and more immature students. 

I'm not sure if I would use these modules with my group of students this year.  I have a lot of behavior problems and students who don't have critical thinking skills.  Although these modules would be beneficial, I think they would work best for the Enrichment students in 5th grade.  The population I work with lack a lot of basic computer skills so I feel like this module would be too much for them.  The only way I could really modify these modules would be to limit the amount of information I included within each module and giving the students a tutorial on HOW they were going to complete the assignment. 

One of the biggest tools I think that could be used for these modules would be LiveBinder.  Teachers can include certain pages for students to visit and they look like binder tabs.  I could also see students using a NING like we did, GoogleDocs, Document Viewers, and blogs.  Available resources are important for these modules so it would be beneficial to have access to information and document share software. 

7 comments:

  1. My thoughts on Case-Based Learning versus Cognitive Flexibility Theory were very similar to yours, Heather. I had not thought, though, of the difference in the structure between the two of them. I guess that is true. And regarding your thoughts on the time it would take for a teacher (like you or me) to do this ... SO TRUE! I commented on the same! Yes, "time is our enemy", isn't it!? Given your student population, it does sound like it could be a challenge to work these models into your curriculum. But maybe if you did just do it on a "small scale". That might even help improve their computer skills on which you commented? I think the subject area can also pose a problem. Social Studies would be great. Math, though, I find a hard time thinking of an application of these models. Maybe an end-of-course summary review case study in Statistics, but that's all I can think of. Thanks, too, for the Live Binder mention! I went to their website and checked out their promo video. I like! Looks like you can do similar with just creating your own website in Weebly or similar. Maybe a bit more flexible. Have you used them? Ironic thing is that all my course materials ARE organized into binders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your ideas on how these models merge a majority of the same ideas, and how they are better applied in a middle school setting. As a former middle school Science teacher, I see these being effective in teaching much of curriculum. In particular, the Case-Based learning would work well because middle school students have enough prior knowledge to form good educational guesses. Then add 'Cases' for them to study and use in further informing their conclusions and you have a great environment for inquisitive, curious, and energetic middle school students to explore new content. My experience with 6th graders in that they get very bored with redundant learning and need new and creative ways to learn content. The Case-Based model gives them the structure they need, but flexibility they desire in learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With 2nd graders, I think I would be running into the same problem as you because they just aren't able to or ready to (not enough critical thinking or immature) to work on something like this on their own; as the teacher, we would have to lead them through the sites instead of allowing for the discovery... which is the point!

    Another site that's like livebinder is http://www.jogtheweb.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    I adored my former elementary students and tried to challenge them, but too can only see myself superficially using Case-Based exercises with them. It is reasonable to expect a large amount of time working through the basics of computer literacy, which is not always feasible or efficient. I do think that elementary students could answer age-appropriate questions given the story-based nature of CBR. In essence, it would be the same as reading them a story and asking questions or letting them read on their own. A single case would probably be most suitable for younger learners. Using CFT, on the other hand, is an unrealistic goal for the elementary students I knew and not even an option in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts were similar, even in a high school setting. It really is a lot to ask in a typical classroom setting, especially as the common core, which starts next year, requires more and more of teachers and students alike. I think that technology is important, but there is so much quality, innovative stuff you can do in the span of an Elementary day without forcing technology into the equation. Maybe that's the wrong view, but I think there is plenty of time for students to pick up technology later. I have substituted in a class of 4th graders that had laptop access and felt it was kind of an unnecessary distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As some of your classmates have echoed, thanks for pointing out that the technology could be a barrier for younger and less skilled students i.e. students with fewer opportunities to work with technology in their day to day lives. Although those are skills students will need as 21st century learners and citizens, trying to combine teaching those skills and the already complex skills required for successfully learning from cases might be too much in one swoop. Maybe tackling one at a time might be a better approach. Once they're comfortable with the technology, introduce a single case as the next step towards teaching case-based reasoning. It's true, though, that there could be other, less time-consuming for the teacher, ways to achieve the same objectives effectively. I think that's where the art of teaching comes in!

    ReplyDelete