Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Unit 1 Blog - PSI and A-T


While reading the articles for both of these module designs I found myself sometimes thinking my class had a lot of these components and other times, I didn’t think my classes had either.  The biggest common foundation for both of these modules is the fact that they are both “distance” education to an extent.  Students are held more accountable for their own learning in both of these modules.  However, these modules have some very different ideas as well.  While I was reading, I found I was able to understand the PSI module better since a majority of my classes have followed this format.  A Personalized System of Instruction allows students to master topics one at a time since they are broken down into grouped chunks.  Most courses set up on Moodle follow this set up.  Every week my work is broken down into a certain topic or objective, and I am expected to complete and master that week before I can move onto the next.  On the other hand, the A-T Method is something I am not familiar with.  The biggest difference I find from this method is the fact that there are manipulatives that students need to get in order to complete the assignment.  I also find it interesting that the instructor or TA are available in a “learning center” to provide support. 

During reading, I realized that both of these modules have advantages and disadvantages.  The biggest advantage of both of these modules is the fact that students can work when it is more convenient for them.  One of the other biggest advantages to the A-T method is the fact that students who are more advanced don’t have to sit and re-learn material they already know and students who struggle can have more focused instruction.  However, there are disadvantages for this method as well.  One of the biggest disadvantages I see, from a teaching perspective, is the amount of time it would take to set everything up for this module.  Likewise, PSI has it advantages and disadvantages as well.  One of the biggest flaws I noticed for PSI is the fact that it requires very basic level thinking.  I suppose teachers could alter their PSI’s to contain higher-order thinking especially for enrichment activities but it isn’t something that is necessarily built in.  One of the advantages of PSI, in my opinion, is the way there is immediate feedback and students can track their grades and progress.  

After comparing the two models of instruction, I feel I would be more inclined to try and create a PSI for my class.  I think PSI would be more appropriate for a 5th grade class, especially mine since they are lower level.  I also feel I’d be more likely to create a PSI because it is something I could build using Moodle, which is the platform for Union County Public Schools. I think if I created a PSI for my class, I’d be able to add enrichment activities as well as enrichment activities so I could reach all of my students. I also think PSI would be easier to modify over the years so I can change it around depending on feedback and the current students in my class.  

There are a lot of web-based tools that I feel could be either included in a module or altered to make it fit.  Personally, I feel that screen-sharing software or Skype are two of the biggest that could be used, especially with the AT Method.  I also think that quiz generators could be used in the PSI module to help track grades for the instructor.  I also think PDF files and Google docs are a good way to share articles, readings, or findings when using the PSI module.  The following are links to available web-tools that would work for these modules. 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the triple posts, Heather. I am having some blogger account issues. In any case, what I want to say is great organization of your post! You answered the questions very well! I especially like that you were automatically thinking of what software you could use to create multimedia in the A-T and PSI frameworks. What I would encourage you to do is also note what part you were thinking about using each of the software for. For example, with the A-T approach, would you use a given tool for the independent learning, whole class sessions, or small group sessions? That way you can think through it even more thoroughly and maybe get some ideas for your project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Heather!

    I like the tools you've chosen to go along with the AT model. In particular, Google Docs and Skype could allow teachers to give students individual feedback for the work they might complete with the AT model. In a Google Doc, a teacher could use the comments function to add notes, suggestions, and encouragements to the student work. Skype could open up the opportunity for the teacher and student to communicate in the classroom without having to speak or other students part of the conversation. The text chat option can be helpful, and the video call can also be a powerful way for teacher and student to discuss classroom content and receive valuable feedback. :)

    TJ Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like the convenience of both of these modules, but I would just emphasize that it requires a highly motivated student. I definitely think that modifying each year is a huge advantage of PSI, and I agree that it would likely be the best model for a fifth grade classroom.

    Will Isley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    I am glad you mentioned the logistics of the A-T model. I was trying to be short-winded in my blog, but also thought of the extra labor involved in A-T set-up and clean-up. For example, there was no mention of what happens at each booth when students leave and whether or not the on-site person is responsible. I do not recall them mentioning what happens when manipulatives are misplaced. Realistically, people are not going to always leave things the way they found them. I guess it's the Art teacher in me flash-backing to stations I used to create in my own classrooms. I could only imagine how many A-T experiments may have been offset by a simple mistake.

    The part you mentioned about a live person being available struck my attention as well. The A-T designers seemed very considerate of their students as humans, including coffee and tea for relaxation. Although A-T in its original form does not seem as obviously tech-friendly as the Web-based PSI, I believe that it made great efforts to humanize the detached element of its structure. The PSI students did have more complaints about minimal human contact.

    I also wondered about enrichment activities for the PSI and was assuming that advanced students did have a higher level to get too while "slower" students lingered at the basics. Perhaps, I misunderstood...Nevertheless, enrichment activities are an excellent idea to keep "faster" students stimulated in the meantime. After going through our blogs, I've been able to see a few more benefits to the A-T method for use in an arts classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a lot of good things to say, Heather. I was especially intrigued by your mention of higher-order thinking. I think PSI and A-T both face difficulties in fostering higher-order thinking, although A-T, with its better opportunities for interfacing with the instructor is better suited to it. I think this is because higher-order thinking demands dialogue, which is missing in both these methods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I love your background picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete